Saturday, September 23, 2017

Simple Fall Mantle

Wow, I haven't posted in two whole years! Oops. 

I really wish there was a better app to blog post while on my phone. I spend a ton of time in my car waiting on my teens, and I could totally get some blogging done that way. Super quick update on Belle & Beau: Right now I am exclusively selling on Etsy. I have a lot of long-term goals that include a brick-and-mortar store at some point. But Etsy's working for now. I tend to update and post the most (which still isn't nearly enough) on Facebook. So if you're missing me, look for me there. (Thanks for making the Pages Manager easy to use, Facebook.)

Onward! I recently found an over-sized Rubbermaid bin of fall decor that I hadn't used or thought about in 2-3 years. I figured if I didn't miss it, then I should just get rid of it. So, off to Goodwill it is ALL going. Buh-bye!

I decorated our fall mantle by just switching out a couple of things. The vintage blue books, the old window, the jar, and the wood art that I created years ago were all already there. The frame was already there with a verse, but I just switched out the verse to one with more fall colors.


Did you know that you can click on a picture to make it bigger?

Years ago I bought a set of Bible alphabet memory cards from She Reads Truth. They fit perfectly into an 8 x 10 frame. I never really liked the colors of this one, but when I was thinking about the mantle, I realized that it is perfect for fall. I don't know if they still sell this particular set. Try clicking the link on their name above, and you can see what's available. 

I picked up the 3 pumpkins and the Gather sign from the Target dollar spot. But other than that, I already had everything in the pictures. Total for everything was probably under $10.

The wall color is Danville Tan by Benjamin Moore. It looks different throughout the day depending on the sunlight. Our family room gets quite a bit of light. It is kind of hard to photograph this wall color, so I am sometimes reluctant to do so.

Thanks for reading! That's all for now. Hopefully it won't be two years again.

Thursday, September 3, 2015

The 50 Week China Cabinet Makeover

There really isn't a solid reason why, but this china cabinet took me 50 weeks to finish. I wasn't feeling a big creative push when I started working on it, and I think at the time we were transitioning out of an antique store we were in. I.e. I didn't have a big need for additional inventory. Regardless of why, it actually took 50 weeks from start to finish.

Here it is "before"...

As always, a little repair work was needed before painting.

So there are a few things that lead me to believe this is from the 1920s - 30s. I think it has some definite Art Deco elements like the original handles on the bottom, the feet, and the trim work. (And who said I don't use my degree on a daily basis?! Those Furniture History classes come in handy more than I ever thought they would.)

So after 50 weeks, here is the after.


Obviously there was a color change. I made my own "chalky" paint from scratch using Benjamin Moore's Danville Tan. Painting was necessary mainly because of the repair work needed. I also changed the glass on the front. I created a "mercury glass" type of finish instead of clear glass. There are lots of methods for creating mercury glass if you search for it on Pinterest. It's not my first time doing this technique, but a word to the wise: Just like a crackle finish will never turn out the same way twice, mercury glass will never turn out the same way twice. Let's just say I thought long and hard, was definitely sure it was what I wanted to do, took some long, calming breaths, and said a prayer before I started it.

I'm happy the "mercury glass" turned out well!

It would have been fine without the mercury glass finish, but it didn't seem quite complete to me without it.


The handles on the bottom are unique. I'm all about using the original hardware whenever possible.

Here's the before and after...


What a big difference! I know it's hard to tell from the pictures how big this is. It's only about 64" tall, which is on the smaller side for a china cabinet. That's typical for the time period it's from though. I can totally see this being used as anything from bathroom storage to a bar or bookshelf.

Until next time...

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Soft Aqua Dresser

Another new dresser! I don't know why I'm so bad about showing these off to everyone once they're finished. I'm really going to try to be better about that.

Here's a small dresser that I picked up a while ago. As always, it needed some repair work. I don't tend to paint quality wood furniture unless there's something wrong with it. I do make exceptions for "ugly" furniture that needs a makeover though.



I usually try to paint furniture in neutral colors so that more people will be able to use them. But I have this one particular blue color that I love to use. It's a custom color that I make. I make my own "chalky" paint. There are recipes galore on Pinterest.

I've had a hard time capturing the true color in photos. I like to describe it as the perfect, soft aqua/blue/teal color.


I'm happy that I was able to keep the original hardware. It still looks great, and it's usually higher quality craftsmanship that what is currently available.


This is fairly small, just 35" tall. Perfect for a guest bedroom or even bathroom storage.


I also just finished an Art Deco era china cabinet that I'll post about soon. I seriously started working on it 50 weeks ago - almost a year! I'm glad it is done.