A whole new hue (in the bedroom)!

I love color. All kinds of color. I could look at paint colors for hours. I am inspired to come up with a million different ideas simply by pouring over a paint color fan deck. One of my favorite college classes was Color Theory. I liked learning about how colors work together. But I really, truly enjoyed learning about how color makes people feel. Color Psychology! It's a real thing. Companies use it every day to get you to buy their products. Color psychology is also a very real thing to consider when selecting paint colors for your house, both inside and out.

I'm going to show you the steps I go through when I'm selecting a bedroom paint color for myself or for someone else. Below are suggestions of what to consider when picking your color, but I still stand by the philosophy of go with what you like. You are going to be the one living in the room. Make it your own and love it. I simply want to help you avoid painting a room that you turn out to hate.I've been there. I have painted a dining room three times in one day. And I'm sure many of you have, too.

1. How do you want to feel in your bedroom? This is the first question I always ask, and the answers I usually get for adult bedrooms are: cozy, warm, calm, relaxed, and refreshed. This is where color psychology comes in. Here is a great info-graphic on the psychology of color. Avoid painting a color that is stimulating (red) when your goal is to be calm and relaxed (green or lavender).
The Psychology and Tradition of Color (Google Affiliate Ad)


2. Light - How much and what kind? What direction does your bedroom face? Does your bedroom get a lot of natural light? If so, it can handle a more saturated color or a darker color without visually tiring you. Also consider that paint colors look different at different times of day. One of my favorite colors to use is Benjamin Moore Danville Tan (HC-91). However, this color looks drastically different in rooms that get different light and at different times of day. If your room is dark, or if you spend most of your time in your room while the sun is down, make sure you look at your paint color during that time.

Benjamin Moore, Danville Tan HC-91

3. Size - Size does matter. How big is your room? Larger rooms can handle darker and more saturated colors. If you are planning to use a darker color in a smaller room, keep everything else simple. For example, use a plain, neutral bed covering and don't over decorate the walls.

4. Existing colors - Of course you want to find a paint color that goes with your existing bedroom furniture and bed coverings. However, don't forget to consider the flooring and rooms that are adjoining the bedroom. Our bedroom has a wide entry with double doors. When the bedroom doors are open, quite a bit of the paint color is seen from other rooms. Picking a bold color for your bedroom walls when all of the surrounding walls are subtle will not be pleasing to look at.

5. Resale - How willing are you to repaint your bedroom when it is time to sell? If you have no problem repainting to a buyer-friendly color when it's time to sell, then this doesn't need to be a big consideration for you. However, if you don't think that this is a job that you'll want to tackle again when it's time to sell, then I recommend picking a paint color that isn't "offensive." In other words, you want the buyer to see the whole room and not get stuck on the paint color you chose.

Some bedroom colors I like are: Benjamin Moore Paris Rain 1501,  Benjamin Moore Antique Jade (465), Benjamin Moore Shaker Beige (HC-45), Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter (HC-172), Benjamin Moore Palladian Blue (HC-144),

I love color, and I'd love to know what color you painted your bedroom. Please tell me about it!
Come back tomorrow when I give a tutorial that shows you how to sample your paint color without buying a paint sample!

XOXO,
Abby

Labels: , , , ,