If You've Got It, Flaunt It

I'm in the holiday decorating mood today, but Ken is at work and there is no way that I'm attempting to shop for decorations with the kids in tow. Yesterday I hit up Home Depot with them, and by the time we got home, Mama needed something a whole lot stronger than hot chocolate.

So after scrounging around the house for materials that I already had on hand, I decided to get a little creative.


First I got together some different kinds of ribbon. I already had all of these at the house. On the right is a jute ribbon that I purchased from Save-On-Crafts.com several months ago. The other 5 types were all purchased at Michaels. The burlap style ones (all but the plaid) were purchased within the past 6 weeks. They have wired edges.

Next, I rounded up some containers. I use metal-type buckets for all of the kids birthday parties. I just change out a piece of ribbon on the handle to go with whatever the color/theme is. They're great for utensils, etc. I also got some of the cuttings from our Christmas tree.
Three of the containers came from Goodwill: the wire egg basket, the fruit orchard basket, and the galvanized pail. The metal pail in the middle of the back row is a 2.5 paint bucket from Home Depot. It's been a while since I bought it, but I think it was around $2. The oval shaped pail came from Target. It was in the "Dollar Spot" for $2.50.
Finally, I scrounged around and found some things to fill the buckets with.

I decided to start with the galvanized bucket. I layered two of the ribbons around it.
Proof in the background of yesterday's Home Depot experience. Next I added some Epsom salts and a green tea light candle to a Ball jar. The jar, candle, and some Christmas tree cuttings were all nestled into the bucket. (I ended up not using the candles in the picture. I thought they were a little too big.)
Okay, so next I decided to play with the Home Depot paint bucket. He got two different ribbons layered onto the outside. He also got the same jar and candle routine.

Finally, I decided to use the orchard basket by the front door. I didn't want to use a candle this time, so I opted to just fill it with tree cuttings.
The moral of the story is, try to use what you already have on hand. If you've got it, flaunt it! That's all for now! I have some other ideas that I'm working on. Stay tuned.

By the way, if you hadn't heard, our Etsy shop is opened! We are gradually getting lots of vintage, antique, and handmade items listed. Check it out! :)

Merry Christmas!
XOXO,
Abby

Labels: , , , , , ,