Cosmetic Sugery: A Furniture Facelift

I have a big birthday coming up in a few weeks. Okay, no I don't. It's not a big one! It may or may not be a mid-life number. Okay, it's not. I refuse to believe that half of my life is over. It's not. I'm calm over-reacting.

*sigh* At what number did I stop wanting to get older? One minute I'm wishing that everyone would take my super-young, over-achieving, bossy-pants self seriously. The next minute I'm wishing that everyone would just chill out, relax, and get over themselves. How did I get from having two small kids, to having one that is bigger than me? Today is the day. It's the day that I start my savings account for cosmetic surgery when everything is sagging and dragging on the floor mid-life crisis therapy.

Speaking of "cosmetic surgery." Check out what got a facelift! Within a couple of weeks, we found two, almost identical chifferobes. This one, I'm embarrassed to say,  has been sitting in our foyer hallway for nearly 6 months. If you aren't familiar with chifferobes, basically it is a closet, outside of a closet. Houses never used to have the enormous walk-in closets that are standard in today's new construction. Closets were tiny, and if you needed more closet space, a chifferobe is what you got.

On one side (the left in this case), are drawers and a small cupboard. On the other side is a door that opens to a bar for hanging clothes. In this particular chifferobe, when you open the door, there is space under the drawers for a pair of shoes.

This piece definitely needed a face lift. It's wrinkles cracks were spackled. It had a limp (one missing wheel). Surgery was successful.


I made my own chalk paint using Martha Stewart's "silhouette" from Home Depot. Afterwards I used Valspar glaze in "mocha." I finished it off with Minwax Paste Finishing Wax.
We had originally planned on keeping the mirrors, but while adjusting the hinges I dropped one of the doors. The mirrors were out and the chicken wire and burlap were in. I'm actually kind of glad it happened, because I love how it turned out.
I am having a hard time saying "goodbye" to this one. I would love to keep it in my foyer to hang guests' coats in. Or perhaps it would be good for hanging the kids' backpacks in. I can also imagine this being used in a kitchen for aprons, kitchen towels, and other linens. 

I will most likely have this for sale at my next antique festival in April.
I hope you love it!
XOXO,
Abby

Labels: , , , , , , , ,