Antiquing Vacation (Mom's "vacation")

What's the difference between a trip and a vacation?

A trip is with the kids, a vacation is without. ;)

There's a down-side to vacationing on a non-commercialized beach. Ask any mom stuck in her beach rental on rainy day, and you will have your answer simply by looking at the blank stare she gives you. So close, and yet so far away. See kids? Look at the beach! Look, but don't touch!

Historic Fernandina Beach on Amelia Island, Florida <3 p=""> 
  We just got back from our family vacation to the lovely and oh so quiet Amelia Island, where there is only so much one can do on a rainy day full of thunderstorms. (Gee, thanks, Tropical Storm Andrea!) The nearby theater has 3 movies. Hangover 3 is not an option for 8 and 11 year olds, thank you very much. And a family of four can only stroll around Target for so long before it gets a little awkward with the employees. Nope, I really don't need help finding anything. Just staring at the "ground beef" you're selling because the thought of going back to the condo and being hen-pecked to death made me break out into a sweat. (Target sells "meat"?!?!)


A little piece of paradise on Amelia Island, Florida
The thought crossed my mind to dole out heavy doses of Benadryl and load everyone back up into the car in the middle of the night. Surprise! We're home! Mommy's not on "vacation" (i.e work outside of the home) anymore.

Sensing the desperation in my eyes, my handsome and hunky husband suggested that we do a little "work." Yeah for me, treasure hunting! Boo for the kids, they know this routine. ;P After a little "researching," off we went.

The kids really are pros and troopers. We made about a dozen stops. I love the thrill of the hunt, but there is a reason why it's called "work." Because it is.

Don't judge. It was storming. I was tired. And the hat was definitely necessary.

My favorite find of the day is this jadeite Santa cookie jar. Isn't he lovely?! Much to Ken's surprise, I'm going to part with him. I do love my jadeite, but I know there's a jadeite lover out there that will appreciate him just as much.





The moral of the story? Even a rainy day at the beach is better than a day away from the beach!

XOXO,
Abby
This is currently for sale in my Etsy shop. Click "Etsy" for a link.

Labels: , ,