Furniture Disaster. Personal Disaster?


We recently found some furniture that we decided to refinish (stain) and keep, rather than sell. I prefer to paint furniture. I have done my share of sanding, but to me painting is second nature. I know exactly how the paint will behave and turn out. The paint and I have an agreement that way. We understand each other. ;) Okay, the paint doesn't understand me at all, but I understand the paint.

Anyway, there's a dresser and a desk. They are made of solid, heavy wood. Quality furniture made by Stanley. I.e. Boy proof. Perfect for our boy, soon to be a teenager. Only they weren't in perfect condition.

Here's a piece of knowledge that I want to share with you. Because when I was a green antiquarian and finder of vintage things, I wish someone had shared it with me. Look at the knobs. Count the knobs. Are they all there? Why...do you ask? Because hardware.is.expensive. Let's just say that we spent more on the hardware than on the furniture.

This picture does not express how frigid it was this day.
So Ken spent hours. HOURS. sanding the furniture. And then he spent hours. HOURS. asking me if I ordered the knobs. And the furniture sat for hours. WEEKS. in the garage because I didn't want to stain it in the cold, and why bother to order knobs if I'm not ready to stain it? That's how we operate. If you look closely you will see the logic.

So halfway through Jackson's (our son) room remodel, I decide that it is time (finally) to restain the dresser and desk. And I stain it. And it's horrible. And I'm sad about that. Because I'll have to resand it and start again.

I'm kind of like that furniture. God has worked on me and worked on me. HOURS. WEEKS. My LIFETIME. And I'm so far from perfect. I've had moments in my life where I've been horrible. I've made serious mistakes. But God will keep working on me and start again. No matter how many times my mistakes and imperfections stain me, He will forgive me and let me start again.

Why would I bother to blog about a project that isn't done, and so far isn't going well? Because I want you to know that I am not perfect, and I have been forgiven. You do not have to be perfect to receive God's forgiveness and grace. If you are a Christ follower and you are working earnestly at an image of perfection, either on social media or in real life, ask yourself this, "Can I serve God better by sharing what He has saved me from or giving a false sense of perfection to the world?"

"Therefore, there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death." Romans 8:1,2

XOXO,

Abby

Labels: , , , , ,