A Twist on a Southern New Year's Menu


I am a girl who loves tradition. Love it. And apparently y'all do, too! My previous post on the Southern New Year's menu, along with the explanation of why we eat what we do, has been extremely popular. (thanks for that!)

And while we will be keeping to tradition this year with my New Year's Day dinner, I will also be changing it up a bit. I'm not going to repeat my previous post with all of the symbolism, so please go HERE if you need a refresher.

With this menu I'm still going to serve greens, black eyed peas, cornbread, and pork, just with a modern twist! So fun!


The black eyed peas will be used to make a hummus. (Mmm! I love hummus!) I found a recipe (here). Since I don't like black eyed peas, I usually only choke down (how ladylike) a few of these. So cheers to trying something new this year.

Black Eyed Pea Hummus Recipe

As for the greens, I'm going to make some kale chips. The flavor of the kale chips will go great with the hummus, but won't necessarily be sturdy enough to be a "vehicle" for it. These are super easy to make. You can even find bags of kale at the grocery store that come with seasoning packets. But basically all you need is some olive oil, salt, and pepper. For a recipe go (here). 
Crispy Kale "Chips"

For ham, I'm going to make some ham and Swiss sliders with King's Hawaiian rolls. Can.Not.Wait. To find the recipe, click (here). The only changes I'm going to make are that I'll be using some shredded Swiss that is already in the fridge, and since there will only be 4 of us eating, I'll cut the recipe in half or even 1/4. 

And finally, the cornbread is actually going to be our dessert. I found a cornbread pudding recipe that looks fairly simple, and I'm going to give it a go. You can find the recipe (here).
Cornbread Pudding

My predictions are that the kids will love the sliders and the pudding, but not so much the hummus or kale chips. They are pretty good eaters, but aren't always great at trying stuff that I make myself. (Please don't tell them that they often have kale in their smoothies and have absolutely no idea.)

I really hope that y'all have an awesome New Year. 

P.S. If you'd like to save this page for later, please click the Pinterest button at the top or bottom of the page. 



Labels: , , ,