Southern Hummingbird Cake with Tupelo Honey Cream Cheese Frosting



Do you have a favorite cake? Funny enough, I associate a specific cake with each of my siblings. My sister, Tara, is without a doubt "Pineapple Upside Down Cake." It's one of her faves and I enjoy making them for her when I can. My twin bro, Ty, is Coconut Cake. We grew up with a sweet little Southern neighbor named AnnieBelle, who adored Ty so much that she made him a Coconut Cake all for himself. I'm not sure if he likes it as an adult, but there's nothing he can do to change my mind that Coconut Cake = Ty. And my biggest bro, Stephen, is Baked Alaska. It's a long time running joke that he would, of course, request one of the most difficult desserts to make from his wife on his birthday. Poor Dawna.

So what cake am I? I don't know...I'll have to ask them what they think. Samantha thinks I am "Carrot Cake." And I do love it. But for my birthday I decided to make a Southern cake staple, the Hummingbird Cake. The density and icing is totally something you would like if you are a carrot cake lover.

I'm making a few changes. First of all, no nuts for us - Both because of food of allergies and because I don't like a crunchy cake. Secondly, I am using Tupelo honey in both the cake and the icing. My sister gifted me with a jar of my favorite Tupelo honey from the Savannah Bee Company.* Tupelo honey has a buttery flavor and it's going to pair nicely with the bananas, pineapple, and coconut in my recipe. (Recipe at the bottom.) *This isn't a paid advertisement. I just really like their honey.



To get started, mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl.


In a smaller bowl whisk the eggs and oil. I whisked the honey in at this point, too. But next time I'm going to add it at the same time as the bananas.


Time to add the bananas, pineapple, and coconut.


So rich with the yummy Tupelo honey cream cheese icing...Disclaimer: I am NOT a cake decorator. Not pretty, but oh so good!


Ingredients

  1. Preheat oven to 350*
  2. Grease and flour two 9-inch baking pans
  3. Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl: flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, sugar
  4. Beat eggs and oil in a smaller bowl; add to flour and stir with a spatula.
  5. Stir in bananas, un-drained pineapple, coconut, and honey. (And nuts if you are using them.) Mix well.
  6. Pour batter into pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes. Cakes are done when a tester comes out clean.
  7. Allow cakes to cool in pans for 10 minutes and then cool completely on wire racks.
  8. Ice with honey cream cheese icing and top with toasted coconut and/or nuts.
  9. To toast coconut or pecans spread evenly on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes at 350*.
Honey Cream Cheese Frosting
In an electric mixer beat the cream cheese, butter, honey, and vanilla until it is smooth with no clumps. While the mixer is on a slow speed, gradually add the powdered sugar until you get the consistency that you like. The more powdered sugar you add the thicker the icing will be.



Want to save this recipe for later? Use any of the "PinIt" buttons to add it to your Pinterest boards.


Labels: , ,